“Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.” – Sydney Jeanne Seward
It was close to Christmas 2001 and something inside me kept telling me that there was something wrong with Norman. I was afraid. It must be cancer. “He’s going to be dead, that’s all I know.” Finally, I decided to confront my worst fears and bring him to the vet. I took him to see the same vet he’d been going to for eight years. My symptoms were excessive drinking, overabundance urine, vomiting, diarrhea, and vomit flecks. Dr. X performed a blood test and informed me that he had liver disease. He said that there was no treatment for liver disease. Next, an ultrasound was performed to determine the severity and extent of the disease. Rimadyl was also prescribed to Norman for Arthritis pains in his knees and hips. Dr. X. advised me to stop giving it Norman as it could cause liver damage. I scheduled an ultrasound and stopped giving Norman Rimadyl. Then, I started feeding Norman a diet food that was prescribed for liver disease. Norman’s condition continued to worsen over the next week. He swelled up like a balloon weighing in at 34 pounds. He was so large, I thought he would burst. I brought him back to the Vet again to check if there were any other options. Dr. Y, a different vet, saw Norman and advised that fluid should not be removed as the body will absorb it. Norman was bloated at the time of the ultrasound.
The vet who performed the ultrasound decided not to perform a biopsy. Dr. X said that the liver was too small and too full of fluid, and that the prognosis was not good. Dr. X did not see the point in spending any more money on a dog that was already dying.
I started taking Norman to Dr. X and Dr. Y every other week to check Norman’s blood level.
The last time I saw Dr. X, he diagnosed the ultrasound as Cirrhosis. I asked Dr. X about his prognosis, and the treatment options. He said he would probably live 14-30 days and that there wasn’t a formal conventional medical treatment for Cirrhosis. It was like death for humans. He stated that Dr. Y had recommended a natural supplement (Milk Thistle), but he didn’t offer any real hope. Dr. Y explained to me that the liver can be rejuvenated but not if it is damaged beyond repair. We started using Norman Milk Thistle and Vitamin E together with the diet for liver disease.
I went home and began to mourn over what seemed to be the inevitable death of my 10- 1/2 year old cocker spaniel. I held Norman in mine and held him close. I prayed for a miracle and prayed for his recovery.
“Lord I am grateful for Norman’s presence in my life. Although it may seem silly to pray for a pet dog, you know how important he is to my life and how much we love him. So I ask you if you will allow him to live. If it is not, I ask you to take him soon so that he doesn’t suffer. In Jesus’ Name. With my prayers in God’s hands, I started to research how I could better take care of Norman.
Hope and Healing I started my search on my computer by searching the Internet. Although I didn’t find much, I did find one article that offered hope. Sunny’s Miracle Diet was the name of it. Sunny’s story was very similar to Normans. Sunny suffered from the same symptoms and was able to survive 6 months on a natural, home-cooked diet. This inspired me to learn as much as possible about liver disease, Cirrhosis and natural diets. The information I found was dispersed and contradictory. I kept searching and bought all the books that I could find about Natural Dog Care and Natural Dog Diets. It was clear that one thing was certain. A radical shift in diet was the only way to treat liver disease.
Norman was on a prescribed diet for liver disease while I was doing research and collecting data. As I began to notice Norman’s obsession with the new food, it was becoming almost as if he was a starving animal. Norman seemed hungry all the while and wanted more food. I was concerned by this, but Norman started eating his own food. I decided to give it a try and make Sunny’s Miracle Diet to replace the prescribed diet food. I didn’t have all the information on natural diets so I didn’t know it wasn’t the “perfect meal” for Norman. It was better than prescription diet food, but I still liked it.
Norman enjoyed the home-cooked meal and was very happy with it. While I allowed him to eat more than usual, I made sure he didn’t stop until he was full. He refused to stop. However, I allowed him to have several bowls Sunny’s Miracle Diet.
I started to compile the research and learned more about Natural Diets. I discovered that no book had the “perfect” meal for Norman. It was clear that there wasn’t a “perfect recipe” for me. I had to hire a nutritionist, or learn the necessary information and then do it myself.
I was struggling financially so I decided to take the initiative and learn by myself.
The rest of this book is a collection of the lessons I’ve learned over the course of more than a year caring for Norman. Here are the things I tried and what I learned. I also include my experiences, failures, and successes. This book will save your dog’s life, and give you all the information you need to take care of the dog you love. I had nothing to lose and my dog’s life to gain.
Since the Vet told me Norman was likely to live only another 14-30 days, trying a different food couldn’t be any worse than doing nothing and allowing him to die. I realized I had nothing to lose and was not going to do nothing.
I stopped using conventional meds. (Antibiotics, Pain Medications)
2) Start dosage of Milk Thistle (Silymarin) to support the liver (150mg 1/day)
3) Start dosage of Vitamin E to help detoxification (400 I.U. daily)
4) Start dosage of Ursodiol to add Bile Acid to help digestion
5) Start dosage of Multi-Vitamin with antioxidants (1/2 of human Multi-Vitamin per day)
6) Stop feeding prescription diet food for liver disease
7) Start Basic Natural Diet with recommendation for Liver Diet
8) Start using Distilled Water
Three months later, I went in to get a follow-up blood test for Norman. I inquired about Sunny’s Miracle Diet and the Natural Diet. She said that Norman would not be changed to the Natural Diet, but she was still committed to the prescription diet food. I informed her that I had made the switch already and would continue to do so. Norman’s Blood Test was NORMAL!
She did a full-spectrum test to check Norman’s health. She may have wanted to show me the deficiencies in Norman’s diet, to convince me to go back to the prescribed diet. All of the results were NORMAL. After three months of Natural Diet and Supplements, Norman was back to normal!
Norman had a damaged liver, but it was healing just as I hoped. My prayer was answered. Norman was not only living with liver disease but had also survived it.
Once diagnosed with liver disease, you can never fully recover as if no disease had ever occurred. I was unable to stop taking the Natural Diet and Supplements.
I continued my research as I looked for ways to improve Norman’s diet.
I continued to learn more about liver disease in humans and animals and how to treat it using all kinds of alternative treatments including food remedies. I began compiling a list with all foods that were good for the liver and those that were not.
Norman’s Next Problem Led me to find a new vet.
Norman began experiencing new symptoms after a few months of the Natural Diet.
Normans’ new symptoms were: vomiting up of his undigested foods in the middle and late nights, waking me up to take him outside 2 to 3 days a day, having accidents if he is left alone for over 4 hours, diarrhea, and waking up frequently to eat. Norman refused to eat at all and his stool was bloody. Norman was not eating and he couldn’t eat. I brought him back to the Vet, where she checked his vitals to make sure if he had Liver Failure or another condition. She kept an IV in him with Vitamin B-12 in it all night, and in the morning I was there to feed him his Natural Breakfast. We went home after he ate the whole thing. Norman felt better but still had many of the same symptoms. He would wake me up in the night and vomit his undigested food, sometimes with diarrhea. The Vet’s last visit was not what I wanted. I felt that Norman needed more support with his diet and supplements. I wanted to talk to a vet about Norman’s condition and provide the support was needed in order to improve Norman’s diet and condition.
I interviewed a Homeopathic vet who didn’t practice traditional medicine. I was able to see the benefits of Homeopathic medicine through her eyes. We spoke several times on the phone and she gave me some homeopathic remedies to soothe Norman’s stomach. The end of the crisis was possible because of my diligence in taking notes and paying attention to Norman’s reactions and behaviors after each meal.
I began my investigation by using a scientific approach to diagnose Norman’s reaction. I believed that Norman’s upset stomach, gas, diarrhea, and vomiting was caused by something in his diet. It was all I had to do was find it. At this point, I had developed a complex diet that included a wide range of meals and supplements. To determine the cause, I had to adjust only one variable at once and see if that affected his system. I did this by eating one meal every day for several days in order to ensure that the stool was clean. It takes 12-16 hours for a meal to go all the way through Norman’s system from feeding to stool. This is what I have learned by giving different meals and then timing their appearance. Carrots, for example, are not always fully digested. You can tell when a meal has been completed by eating carrots in one meal but not the next.
I kept track of everything Norman did for 3 days, including when it was done, how it was done, and what it looked. I took out one item at a time from Norman’s diet and waited at most for a day before taking out the next. Finally, I discovered the culprit. Rice! Everything went back to normal after I eliminated rice from Norman’s daily diet. To ensure that things return to normal, you must continue to eat the same meal for several days.
Here’s a list to keep in mind if you want to spot problem foods.
- Laying (sleeping) Spots
- Feeding Time
- Urination Time
- Bowel Movement (potty) Time
- Stool Color, Consistency and Volume
- Behaviors (e.g. sleeping, licking on a part of body, walking around frequently, begging, eating strange objects like charcoal, grass or feces,)
- Timing of Behaviors
- Meal Ingredients
- Supplements Given
- Timing of Supplements Given (with or without food and time of day)
Here’s an example of one day’s notes on Norman.
| Wednesday | ||
| Date | 7/22/03 | |
| MORNING | Wake-Up Time | 6: 30am |
| Morning Med Time | (usual) 7: 00am | |
| Breakfast Time | 7: 15am | |
| Potty Patrol Check | Brown, Solid, Normal – 9: 35am | |
| NOON | Arthritis Med Time | (usual) 11: 00am |
| Lunch Time | 11: 15am | |
| Ursodiol | (Yes) 11: 15am | |
| Potty Patrol Check | Brown, Solid, Normal – 11: 35am | |
| Lunch Vitamins & Supplements | (usual) 11: 15am with lunch | |
| AFTERNOON | Arthritis Med Time | (usual) 3: 00pm |
| Dinner #1 Time | 3: 15pm | |
| Potty Patrol Check | None | |
| EVENING | Arthritis Med Time | (usual) 7: 00pm |
| Dinner #2 Time | 7: 15pm | |
| Potty Patrol Check | Brown, Solid, Normal (7: 30pm) | |
| NIGHT | Night Vitamins & Supplements | (usual + cal) 9: 00pm without food |
| Bedtime Snack (optional) | 10: 00pm | |
| BEFORE BED | Bedtime Med Time | 9: 45pm |
| Potty Patrol Check | None | |
| Other Notes | ||
| Slept all night in bed | ||
| No barking during the day | ||
| No vomiting in the morning | ||
| Ate Chicken, Veg., Pasta Stew | ||
| Added Calcium to Night Vitamins |
Since I am still improving Norman’s diet, I often run across something else that Norman cannot tolerate. When trying out new foods, I follow the same procedure. When liver disease is present, I’ve found that gastrointestinal problems often occur when something isn’t allowed in the diet.
I received a call shortly after the crisis from Norman’s veterinarian. I had found a listing of Holistic Vets online and emailed the one closest to me. She returned my call after the crisis ended. I was very harsh on her when she called. I was very thorough in my questions and briefly explained Norman’s past. I explained to her that I was searching for a Vet that would consider other treatments and help me with Norman’s diet and supplements. This will allow me to take the best care of Norman. Dr. Forster was able to answer all of my questions and scheduled an appointment for Norman to visit me at my home to take a fresh look at his case. To do this, I had to obtain all Norman’s Vet records from the previous Vet. Dr. Forster provided great insight into the meaning of all blood tests and the diagnosis for the sonogram. I found this fresh view of Norman’s life very informative and insightful.
Notes on Blood Test Results
Blood test results should be used to look at the BIG picture.
Never take one value by itself.
Although some are very specific to liver disease, they should be looked at in relation to all other values. Keep in mind that the numbers for blood tests are unique to the particular machine being used and should not be compared. Compare the results with the reference range.
“Flagging ranges” identify results that are out of the reference range and are usually printed in bold.
Flagging ranges are just a guide.
Consult your Vet for specific medical interpretations.
Liver Specific blood tests:
ALT – is a liver-specific leakage enzyme that is high when the body is losing cells.
AST is a test that detects liver damage. It can also be used in conjunction with GGT, ALT and GGT.
Bilirubin is formed in liver, before it is excreted in the bile.
Bile acids – These are made from cholesterol in the liver.
Cholesterol is a substance that is made in the liver and subsequently metabolized into bile acid. Low levels could indicate liver disease.
GGT is an enzyme that comes from the liver. It is used in conjunction other liver tests.
Potassium Low levels could indicate chronic liver disease.
Do more than treat the symptoms.
Finding the cause of liver disease is the first step in treating it. You can’t treat the cause of liver disease if you don’t know the cause. Norman’s medical history was reviewed by Dr. Forster at his initial consultation. This helped me to understand his condition and also highlighted several red flags. Those red flags were then looked at with 20/20 hind-sight (perfect vision) and used to determine the best course of treatment.
Review of History uncovers Red Flags.
The first red flag was Norman’s 3 month old liver disease diagnosis. I took him in for his annual vaccines and teeth cleaning. His blood test before the teeth cleaning revealed that his liver disease test (ALT) was not abnormal, but that he was anemic (low red cell count). Norman was exposed to a variety of drugs and chemicals during and after the visit.
- He was injected with pain medication to remove a small growth on his ear.
- He was given anesthesia for the dental cleaning.
- He was given all of his vaccinations (Rabies, DHLP/Parvo).
- He was given antibiotics for 20 days after the cleaning.
- He continued taking Rimadyl for Arthritis pain.
- He continued taking monthly Heartgard tablets to guard against heartworms.
- He continued taking monthly Flea & Tick control medication.
If Norman’s liver was already damaged, all of this medication pushed him over the edge. Anemia could have indicated that Norman was not in the best health to take all this medication at once.
His Gingivitis was the next sign of trouble. Bad teeth and gums can cause toxic toxins to the liver. It’s also a sign of poor health.
Finally, I had to kick myself for giving him NSAID painkillers (Rimadyl), for his Osteoarthritis for more than 2 years. This reminded me of his symptoms, including loose stool, gas and constant drooling, that I had neglected for many years.
I was also giving him expensive pet food with rice. I brought him in 7 years ago for gas and sensitive stomach issues. I never considered that his pet food was the problem. I thought Norman was getting the best food and I believed I was feeding him the best.
I Didn’t Know!
I feel like I didn’t know anything about this before it happened. I didn’t know how to ask questions. I didn’t realize medications could cause side effects. I didn’t realize that pet food could contain toxic chemicals. Bad breath, drooling, and gas weren’t signs of poor health.
Now I know. Now I am curious about everything and do my research. I am educating myself, and hopefully other dog-lovers who are as well.
My Conclusions
I can’t say for sure what caused Norman’s liver disease. However, I believe it was a combination: over-vaccinating, long-term use NSAID painkillers, untreated Gingivitis (rice), poor diet (not so-healthy commercial pet foods), and a dog breed with a tendency towards liver disease.
Now that we knew what caused the liver disease, Dr. Forster helped me formulate the best treatment for Norman.
Dr. Forster’s Prescribed Supplements and Vitamins.
Dr. Forster did her research and sought out additional information from a Holistic Vet and Internist. Forster also recommended additional vitamins and supplements.
- Taurine 500mg 2x/day (for both liver and cognitive)
- L-Carnitine 500mg 2x/day (for both liver and cognitive)
- Alpha-Lipoic acid (ala) 100mg 1x/day (for cognitive)
- Vitamin E 200 mg + general antioxidant formula d alpha form not dl alpha
- Double dose of Milk Thistle (from150mg a day to 150mg 2x/day)
- Add Turmeric(spice) (1 tsp daily) to his food – start small at first
- Canine Plus Multi-Vitamin with antioxidants from Vetri-Science (available from your Vet)
- Prozyme Digestive Enzymes instead of other brand (available from your Vet)
Notes on Supplements and Vitamins: I list brand names along with contents when available so that you can find your own source of these supplements and vitamins. There are many brands that can be inconsistent and may not contain the claimed amount. Stick with proven, well-respected brands. These items are not advertised by me, but for their effectiveness in treating liver diseases.
An extensive list of recommended dosages has also been prepared for your convenience (see Appendix B).
Norman has fallen ill four times since I began feeding him homemade dog food. It was formulated for his liver disease and he added vitamins and supplements. These illnesses were caused by diet and arthritis. Every time he fell ill, I was able to learn more about his diet and how it affected his body.
Trial & Error – Adapting Norman’s Diet
I wish I could say that creating the perfect diet for Norman was simple and that it was so easy that I did it the first time. It wasn’t that easy.
I would instead create a meal and let Norman eat it over several days or weeks. Then, we’d watch to see his reaction. Sometimes, the meal would be delicious for a few days and then he’d get sick again. I would go back to the drawing board and attempt to fix it again.
- I’ve gone from preparing each meal from scratch using strictly all “natural” ingredients to canned food from a Health Food Store, and everything in between.
- I’ve been an extremist where I made each meal using fresh vegetables and soy protein.
- I’ve been economical where I made large batches of cooked food and froze it for use over several weeks.
- I’ve been lazy and used healthy canned food.
- I’ve used hot water to heat his food, and I’ve used the microwave to heat his food.
- I’ve used raw beef, turkey, liver and bones, cooked chicken, beef and liver, tofu, soy granules, yogurt, cottage cheese, potatoes, yams, pasta, couscous, millet, barley, oatmeal, fresh fruit, dried fruit, fresh vegetables, frozen vegetables, and canned vegetables.
- I’ve tried healthy commercial food like Halo Canned Food and Sojo grain mixes that go with raw meat.
I don’t know if I can say, “I’ve tried it all.” But I’ve definitely tried many different recipes over the last year. And I have learned a lot along my journey.
Now you can learn my lessons without actually having to go through them.
The rest of the book is the compilation of my research and presentation. This book is designed to help you quickly digest the information and create your own diet, with any supplements, for your dog. Norman proved me right away that there is no one “perfect” diet for every dog. This is why the diet he was prescribed for liver disease didn’t work. This is not a one-size fits all recipe. To find the best recipe for your dog, you will have to experiment with the recipes and ingredients I provide. It is a good idea to work with a vet who supports homemade diets and natural supplements. Norman is now doing well, almost a year after his initial diagnosis. Everything was normal at his last blood test, which took place a month ago. (See Appendix D for a copy of blood test report)
Final Note – Treating Pain Associated with Arthritis
Norman also has Arthritis in his hips and knees. He was prescribed pain medication for so many years. He can no longer take the usual pain medication because of his damaged liver.
I was worried about Norman nine months after I introduced him to a healthy diet and liver supplements. Norman was a raving eater who loved to eat at mealtimes. He was now more than excited. He was restless, anxious, panting, crying, crying (barking), not sleeping more than two hours at a stretch, inhaling his food and pacing around the house looking for cat poop.
I tried everything. I tried many homeopathic remedies to treat gastritis. I modified his diet to increase and decrease the amount of fat and protein in his meals. I gave him more Vitamin C and B12. Bach’s Rescue Remedy was given to him. I fasted him for one day. I gave him GasX. It didn’t work.
After trying every trick I could, it took me 5 days to get him to Dr. Forster. All blood tests were normal. She thought he was in pain. We didn’t understand why. We decided to give Torbutrol, a pain medication, a try. I gave him the medication, and he ate as usual. After a few hours, he was still there. He lay on the ground, as though he couldn’t get up. He was constantly panting and his mouth was wet. His back legs were so weak that he couldn’t even stand to go potty. He was limping on the left side of his back. He was so restless that he refused to sit down or lie down. He was always walking or standing, his head in a corner.
I called Dr. Forster to describe his condition. She offered to come over (at 9: 30pm) but said, even if she did, there wasn’t anything she could do until morning at the clinic. Although she didn’t consider it life-threatening, I hadn’t seen him behave so badly before. This was the end for Norman, and I was terrified. She told me to control my emotions, because Norman was being affected by my emotions.
She was right. I was an emotional wreck! I was so afraid he would die that I panicked. I immediately prayed to Norman for peace and his health.
Norman finally got me to sleep, but it was the longest nights of my entire life. Norman got up every few hours and I got up with Norman. Finally, at 7: 30am we went to see Dr. Forster at the clinic. She got Norman and me in as quickly as she could. He continued to act the same. He looked like he was suffering from pain, she said. He was taken to the clinic for x-rays, and other tests to determine the cause of the pain.
I left him there and went to take care myself. I called her back after she received the test results. She wanted to know why he was so in pain. His back hip had severe Osteoarthritis, an irregular joint surface, and severely calcified disks. Surgery was not an option due to his age and current condition. For my pain, she suggested that I try acupuncture. Norman was my acupuncture therapist. I tried six different acupuncture treatments, but I ended up deciding that diet changes and homeopathic remedies for pain and arthritis were the best ways to manage my pain.
Without homeopathic remedies for arthritis pain I would have to put Norman to bed. He was very pained. He is now doing well. He has a limp. He does not show signs of anxiety, crying, restlessness, or panic. He seems comfortable, sleeps through the night, and sleeps most of his day. He isn’t a hunter anymore for cat poop and waits patiently for his food.
It WORKS!
I believe that diet, supplements, and homeopathic remedies for arthritis and liver disease work. If they didn’t, I wouldn’t have written this book. If they didn’t work, Norman would not be with me today. They are safe and good for your dog. I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone if they didn’t work.
I hope you find the answers or the hope to continue looking for ways to help your dog heal. If you love Norman as much as you do Norman, you’ll want to find out what you can do for him.
I hope you find the same success with homemade healthy dog food and supplements that I have. I encourage you to ask your Veterinarian questions. Do not give up. Take care of your dog and yourself. It will make you feel good knowing that you did all you could to help your dog.
Update
At the writing of this chapter, Norman was still with me and had no problems with liver disease. I had to send Norman over the Rainbow Bridge because of his worsening arthritis. This chapter will provide more information.
This treatment has saved the lives of hundreds of dogs over the past 9 years. It works!
http://brainheal.hope4you.hop.clickbank.net/



No comments:
Post a Comment